I actually was thinking of going to med school initially. Then I found out that I like to work with my hands more, so that's what kind of like redirected my attention. When I was going to school undergrad, I decided to change my focus, and I became pre-dental. I started shadowing dental offices. I actually volunteered in a couple of clinics, and I saw that I really like it.
I like the work schedule of a dentist a lot more that of a physician. I really value family time. So I want to have some time for myself and for my family. With dentistry, I was able to achieve that, but with medicine I saw that it was going to be very hard for me to do so. So for that reason, I picked dentistry.
I really like the ability to be able to see the results of your work right away. That's something that you might not be able to have in medicine necessarily. A lot of conditions that we have, a patient comes in, has a problem, it's a visual thing, the patient can see it. Then the reward of you seeing the final result and how the patient is excited about it, it means the world to me. When I see a patient happy, leave happy, they come in really worried, and then they leave so happy, they see that the process is not bad at all, getting a procedure done and then in and out, they're like, "Wow, I wish I knew it was that easy." So that's the most rewarding part for me.
Dr. Samir Abbas is a graduate of Santa Fe College in Gainesville, FL, where he was a member of the Dean’s List, and the University of Florida. He earned his DMD from the University of Florida School of Dentistry in 2018, then did an Advanced Education in General Dentistry residency at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center in Augusta, GA. During his residency he received advanced training in endodontics, fixed and removable prosthetics, oral surgery, IV and inhaled sedation, and dental implants.
He loves working with his hands and working with people, and he finds dentistry to be a perfect combination of these interests. He strives to always provide outstanding dental service to his patients. He is often touched by how it is possible to transform patients’ lives by transforming their smiles.
A member of the American Dental Association, Dr. Abbas has participated in many community service efforts – so many that it would be difficult to list them all here. A few of them include:
- FreeD.O.M. Clinic, providing fillings, root canals, and extractions to residents of Hawthorne, FL
- University of Florida School of Dentistry mission trip to Jamaica, providing dental cleanings, restorative dentistry, root canals, and extractions to the people of Jamaica
- Santa Fe College WeCare Dental Clinic, providing free and reduced-cost dental care to those who couldn’t otherwise afford it
- Equal Access Clinic Network, providing health care to Gainesville residents in need through this student-run health care system sponsored by the University of Florida College of Medicine
- Oral Cancer Walk, providing free oral cancer screenings at this event that raises awareness for oral cancer and pharyngeal cancer
In addition to volunteerism, he enjoys traveling, computers, soccer, table tennis, snowboarding, swimming, and working out.