When visiting our office, you can expect comforts like a neck massage from a licensed masseuse. Still, even with all of these amenities, some people can’t relax at the dentist. They may even avoid the dentist and all routine care, staying away unless they experience a serious dental emergency. If this describes you, sedation dentistry in Florence can help!Dr. Joseph Griffin on helping patients with dental anxiety Read Transcript
Dental anxiety, the first thing if you're struggling with it, you need to know that you are not alone. We'll tell you that over and over again. Don't get anxious that you are anxious. It's okay. But there's a number of ways that we'll treat dental anxiety. What we have found, we'll start out, we might have to sedate you, we might put you to sleep, and then all of a sudden we just have to give you some medication, like a Valium. And then, after we've earned your trust, we're finding patients need less and less, any type of medication because we've earned their trust. What has happened is like when you're a child, if you ever bitten by a dog, every time you see a dog, “Is that dog gonna bite me?“ And sometimes patients have gone to other offices and they kind of got bit. We have to prove to them that we're happy, gentle, little puppies. We're going to do all the warm and fuzzy things to assure you and give you confidence that you're important enough for us not only treat your teeth, but treat the mind, and the spirit and the soul that's attached to those teeth, as an individual.
Our safe dental sedation will:
- Help you overcome your dental anxiety so you can get the high-quality dental treatment you deserve
- Keep you relaxed during lengthy procedures
- Allow us to perform several procedures in a single appointment
- Make you less conscious of sounds, sights, and sensations that bother you
To discuss dental sedation with one of our doctors, call Advanced Dental Center at 843-627-4076.
Enjoy Many Benefits of Dental Sedation
We offer safe oral conscious sedation. This will keep you calm throughout your visit. We’ll closely monitor you throughout your treatment.
Even if you’re not anxious about your treatment, our dental relaxation methods work well in other situations, such as these:
- You have a strong gag reflex.
- You experience difficulty getting numb.
- You need complicated and/or lengthy dental procedures.
- You need oral surgery.
- You want to undergo multiple procedures in a single visit.
Arrive & Stay Relaxed With Oral Conscious Sedation
Your oral conscious dental sedation will be a prescription pill you’ll take before your appointment. You’ll arrive at our office already relaxed and will stay that way throughout your appointment. We suggest fasting for eight hours beforehand, including water. You will also need to arrange for a ride to and from our office.
There are many advantages of oral sedation:
- You take the pill at home, which gives you more control over the process. It also avoids the use of a needle.
- You arrive already relaxed, so you won’t need to wait at the office for the sedative to take effect.
- You’ll be relaxed but remain aware, so you can easily respond to our questions or instructions.
- The sedative effect lasts around two hours.
- The medications we use are regulated by the FDA and have been in use for years, so there is little risk of negative side effects.
Our Experienced Dentists & Caring Staff Ease Your Dental Anxiety
Whether or not you choose a sedation method, our skilled dentists and caring staff will ease your dental anxiety. Our dentists have more than 200 years of combined experience, so they can handle just about any dental situation. Some members of our support team have worked in dentistry for 20-plus years. They also use patient-friendly technology like our intraoral camera, which allows you to see exactly what is going on in your mouth. We even have a certified massage therapist who can provide neck massages. After her attention, you’ll leave our office more relaxed than when you came in!